Miech R, Johnston L, O’Malley PM, Keyes KM, Heard K. Prescription Opioids in Adolescence and Future Opioid Misuse. Pediatrics. 2015 Nov;136(5):e1169-77.
- Increased opioid misuse in adults has been linked to a history of legitimate prescription opioid use.
- Legitimate prescription opioid use prior to 12th grade is independently associated with 33% increase in the risk of future opioid misuse after high school
- This association was concentrated in 12th grade students who have little to no history of drug use and strong disapproval of marijuana use.
- However, this association does not predict frequent future opioid misuse. Opioid misuse in this lower stratum was limited to 5 or fewer occasions of misuse in the 12 months.
- The very lowest risk stratum in the study did not predict misuse prescription opioids. This was attributed to this stratum having a higher composition of minority youth compared to other risk stratum.